Materials used for tesserae (mosaic tiles) are many and varied, however there are important considerations to ensure their suitability and durability.
very important safety notes:
- Always wear suitable eye protection when cutting, scoring or breaking; especially important with glass/glass tiles.
- Always wear a dust mask when drilling or grinding glass, and when mixing dry mortar based products such as cement and grout.
- Wear latex gloves when mixing/handling grout or cement, as these substances are caustic and may cause skin irritation.
things to consider before choosing materials and colours for your mosaic:
materials include, but are not limited to:
- Ceramic tiles – glazed and unglazed.
- Gold leaf smalti
- Vitreous glass tiles (Venetian glass)
- Iridescent glass tiles
- Stained glass – transparent, translucent, or opaque.
- Mirror – plain, coloured, or textured.
- Glass nuggets
- Sea washed glass
- Sea shells
- Hand made tiles or pottery
- One-of-a-kind re-used items
My next mosaicing guide will be about substrates…
Comments on this post are now closed.